From Heidi Haugen, Summer Activities Director……
We began our Summer Activities Program by signing each child up for the “Summer Badge Quest Program” at the Montrose Library. The kids tell me which badges they want to earn and we read books, do activities, and go on adventures to meet the criteria for the badges. We spend one afternoon a week at the library checking out books and picking up our badges. We spend another afternoon reading nonfiction books and doing hands-on activities around the theme. Finally, one day a week, we participate in an adventure/field trip around the theme. Following are the areas we have been working on-
1. Animal Lover- we visited the Black Canyon of the
Gunnison. A ranger taught us about the different birds that live in the
canyon. See photos here. Black Canyon Of The Gunnison
2. Nature and Environment- we went on a nature walk at Baldridge
Park. In addition, many of the kids went on a camping trip to help earn this
badge. We are still working on projects like collecting flowers and seeds.
3. Sports and Recreation- we spent a day at the Montrose Recreation
4. Theater and Puppetry-the kids joined together to read about
and create a theater production. They performed and videotaped a play. We had
fun coming up with costumes and props.
5. Music and Rhythm-we had a musician spend the afternoon teaching us about rhythm. He brought drums and a guitar for us to try out!
In July, we plan to have more adventures as we
earn the following badges-
6. Food and Farming-we visited Mattics Orchard in Olathe. A day at Mattics Orchard 2014 We will check out some kids’ cookbooks and perhaps try out a new recipe.
7. Health and Safety-we will visit with a police
officer and learn about public safety.
8. Travel and Adventure-we will learn
about different kinds of maps. We’ll go on a “Google Lit Trip” (googlelittrip.com) with Ipads.
9. Science and Technology-we’ll learn how to use a star chart and study the
10. Computer Science and Digital Arts-we’ll continue our
film making from last month and focus on the digital pictures using online
drawing and painting tools.
If you have an area of interest that you would like to share with families at Haven House, please call (970) 626-5280 or contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Rosemary at (970) 765-2252. The reward will be yours.